Senior Geotechnical Engineer
An exciting opportunity for an ambitious Geotechnical Engineer looking to progress their career to a management level.
Working at VEDA offers you the opportunity to gain knowledge & experience across the wide spectrum of engineering disciplines. The role offers excellent career progression opportunities, learning from a highly talented and experienced team of professionals within a dynamic working atmosphere.
You will be trained and mentored to take on responsibility as soon as you are able and, due to our business approach, will gain a range of experience throughout a project delivery and business operation.
The role can be based either at Wimbledon or Middlesbrough Office.
- To design Tunnels, Shafts, Earth retention structure by established engineering FEM softwares; Plaxis, SLOPE, GEO5, Wallap. Thinking in first principles and setting up models of complex ground models and geotechnical solutions using FEM software packages.
- Prepare conceptual designs that are practical, economic and buildable to client standards.
- Prepare detailed designs in accordance with current standards and codes including calculations, design risk assessments and sufficiently detailed sketches for the preparation of working drawings.
- Attend ground investigations and produce both factual and interpretive reports.
- Produce geotechnical risk registers, geotechnical design reports for earth structures that impact on Network Rail, Highway and Canals & River Authority assets.
- Ensure that design work undertaken is carried out in accordance with company quality procedures and that a high level of professionalism is maintained.
- Act as checker of calculations, reports and drawings for project team, other internal teams and external designers.
- Project leader
- Assist bid directors with fee proposals, and on smaller projects prepare design fees.
- When acting as project leader monitor project progress and spend.
- Undertake site visits and attend design meetings when appropriate.
- > Relevant degree qualification
- > 5+ years of professional experience in the Civil Engineering Industry.
- > Member of either the ICE or FGS.
- > Knowledge of Design to Eurocodes.
- > Experience in using structural design and analysis software such as PLAXIS.
- > Sufficient technical ability to work independently and develop own solutions.
- > Ability to work independently and see tasks through to completion.
- > Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to generate and technically review reports.
- > To be positive, articulate, resilient.
- > Be proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook).
- > Enjoy working in a team environment, sharing ideas and collaborating with colleagues.
- > Have conﬁdence to work under pressure with the ability to prioritise and plan effectively.
- > Must hold a clean UK Drivers licence.
"*" indicates required fields