The redevelopment of Chelmsford train station is part of the National Station improvement Scheme for Abellio Greater Anglia.
VEDA were employed as Lead Designers by Spence to deliver the multi-discipline detailed design, whilst also providing site support and the design of temporary works.
The new scheme involved the part demolition of the existing main station building to provide a new Front Entrance Tower, bespoke Ticket office, extended Concourse and a new Internal Staircase. The scheme also required a new external Staircase to Platform 1 and a new link building to Staircase 2.
Design of new steel frame, foundations & drainage to accommodate the following:
- New Tower to front entrance
- New rear conservatory to accommodate the new Retail unit & concourse extension
- 1st floor steelwork where existing 2 story building is being part demolished
- New internal staircase from concourse to platform
- The scheme also required a new external Staircase to Platform 1 and a new link building to Staircase 2
- Propping of existing column next to viaduct supporting platform, next to existing front entrance & WHS
- Installation of crash deck within ticket office to enable demolition of the 1st floor 200mm deep slab
- Installation of crash deck over the concourse adjacent the existing front entrance to enable dismantling of the existing staircase
- Single temporary works package to allow for the installation of steelwork to the 1st floor, new glass roof over concourse, new retail unit and new internal staircase
Project Name: Chelmsford Station
Type of Project: Congestion Relief, Retail & Station
Date completed: Ongoing
- Project Management & Lead Design
- Structural Surveys & Assessments
- Structural Engineering & Architecture
- Civil Engineering
- Rail Engineering
- Temporary Works