Civil Engineering – Year in Industry
Deadline: May 31st, 2023
This is an excellent opportunity for an undergraduate Engineer to work with a growing consultancy. The undergraduate Engineer will be able to develop their skills and will gain valuable experience being involved in the delivery of rail and civil projects through their complete life cycle, from tender production to scheme and detailed design.
We are committed to developing students and you will be trained and mentored to assist in a range of tasks. Due to our business approach, you will gain a range of experience in engineering design, construction process, project delivery and business operation.
The role will offer the opportunity to receive a lot of exposure to the workings of a consultancy. You will assist on a wide variety of projects and receive help from a range of team members.
The skills and knowledge you gain from your placement will be very helpful to the rest of your University course and may provide you with the opportunity to fast track the application process when applying for Graduate roles within our organisation following the completion of your degree (subject to performance).
We are a friendly and professional team that is proud of the quality of service it delivers to its clients, and a clear vision for innovation.
We are aware that working as a full-time employee can be daunting. That’s why we have put in place a support network to help you settle in. On joining, you’ll be introduced to your buddy – a current or ex-graduate who will be able to answer many of your questions and be available to help and assist you on a day-to-day basis.
During your placement you can expect a dedicated coach, who will give you the technical knowledge you need and ‘real world’ opportunities for you to get involved to demonstrate your ability. Your coach will also give you regular reviews and feedback.
- To assist in the production of engineering drawings in accordance to the CAD QA standards
- Assist in the preparation of conceptual designs that are practical, economic and buildable to client standards
- Assist in the preparation of detailed designs in accordance with current standards and codes including calculations, design risk assessments and sufficiently detailed sketches for the preparation of working drawings
- Under supervision by a Senior Engineer, assist with conducting visual and detail examinations of rail and civil assets and produce examination reports that can be priced by a contractor
- Ensure that all work undertaken is carried out in accordance with company quality procedures and that a high level of professionalism is maintained
- Assist in the responses of design related queries during the design/construction phases to an amicable resolution
- There may be opportunities to attend design meetings when appropriate
- Promote and foster a strong, ethical, friendly and efficient team culture and working environment
- Remain within the remit of the role and when additional responsibilities need to be carried out, conduct this with the approval of your line manager
- The ideal candidate will have an understanding of the basics of structural/civil analysis including the design of Concrete, Steel, Masonry, and Timber structures either by hand calculations or using engineering software
- You will have excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to generate and technically review reports, and will be self-confident, articulate, resilient a face-to-face communication skills with internal staff. These skills are essential for permanent roles where your skills in client liaison (e.g. Meetings, presentations) and key account management/relationship would be developed
- You’ll be a team player but also able to work on own initiative with a proactive and positive attitude towards working under pressure, and will have the ability to work independently and see tasks through to completion with minimal input, as well as being able to work to tight deadlines
Other requirements include:
- Studying towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s (MEng/M.Sc.) degree qualification related to Civil Engineering/Structural Engineering
- Minimum 5 passes at GCSE with at least Grade ‘B’ or higher in any three subjects, Grade ‘B’ or higher in Mathematics and Physics and a Grade ‘C’ or higher in English
- Science/Engineering related A-Levels with Grade ‘B’ or higher preferred
- Student member of either the ICE or IStructE
- Be proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Good understanding of AutoCAD
- Strong analytical engineering and report writing skills
- Knowledge design and analysis of foundations
- Knowledge of Eurocodes/British Standards
- Experience in the use of design and structural analysis software
Environment & Working Hours
The office is an open plan environment.
Working Hours: Monday – Friday. 37.5 hours a week
This role may require occasional meeting attendance
You can also expect:
- Competitive salary and holiday package
- Close working relationships with (and mentoring from) our engineers, architects and technicians
- Continual support with your professional development
- A dynamic working environment
- Experience of Rail, Civil and Retail projects
Start date: August/September 2023
We’ve signed the Gradcracker feedback pledge.
(This means that we will supply feedback if requested after an interview.)
How to Apply
All applications MUST include a Cover Letter and an up-to-date CV/Resume. See details below:
Cover Letter: It should be no longer than 500 to 600 words and should include the following paragraphs:
A brief introduction to yourself
Why you are interested in working for VEDA Associates
Why you are applying for this Placement position
CV/Resume: It should be no more than two to three pages and should include (as a minimum):
Educational qualifications (GCSE, A-Levels, Current Course or equivalent qualifications) including grades received. We will only process your application if you meet the application eligibility criteria
If you have not yet graduated, please provide expected date of graduation and expected grades
Professional Certifications (if any)
You can include information on projects undertaken, details or other internships/work experience/placements and any other information that is relevant to your application.
"*" indicates required fields