Kings Cross Station - Northern Building - Grade 1 Listed Building Refurbishment
Kings Cross Station, London
VEDA were employed by Spence as lead consultant for the complete strip out and refurbishment of the Grade I listed Northern Building. In collaboration with English Heritage the listed building conditions for structural alteration, internal & external finishes, services, demolition and salvage were met and discharged.
Structural and architectural refurbishment works included the following:
- Strip out, removal and disposal/ salvage, or re-use of existing fabric as determined by condition survey.
- Refurbishment and modifications required for building conversion to provide a combination of retail storage and staff accommodation on the ground, first and second floors
- The retention and protection of English Heritage items i.e. cornices, architraves, doors, fire places.
- Removal of existing stair between ground and first floor
- Structural floor strengthening to the AHU room
- Floor strengthening at first & second floor rooms to achieve service limit state
- The construction of new internal 60min fire resistant partitions and infilling existing openings
- Structural assessment of all floors to ensure a minimum imposed load of 2.5kN/m2. Criteria
- The construction of new service penetrations through floors and walls
Project Name: Kings Cross Station - Northern Building
Type of Project: Grade 1 Listed Building Refurbishment
Date completed: August 2014
- Project Management and Lead Design
- Structural surveys and assessments
- Structural Engineering & Architecture
- Civil Engineering
- Temporary Works